If your four-legged best friend has allergies, they are definitely not alone! We treat many dogs (and sometimes cats) for allergies and skin disorders here in Altamonte Springs, with food and environmental allergies being some of the most common that we see. Allergies in pets are often characterized by itchy, inflamed skin, hair loss, ear infections, and acute and chronic skin infections.
If you’ve noticed your pet scratching at themselves and licking their feet more often, they might have an allergy! We recommend that you call us right away so we can provide your companion with the relief they deserve, and prevent a stubborn bacterial infection (which can take longer to treat!). Call at (407) 862-6892 to schedule an appointment.
What Causes Allergies in Pets?
Pets can be sensitive to many of the same things that make humans allergic, including:
- Dust and dust mites
- Certain proteins in their food
- Human and/or animal dander
Knowing the cause of your pet’s condition could make their treatment more effective, especially if we can reduce their exposure to the allergens responsible.
How We Diagnose Skin Disorders and Allergies in Dogs and Cats
Dr. Matagrano and her team are highly experienced with allergy management and dermatology for pets. They know that every pet is unique and requires a custom approach to their treatment to get the best results. However, diagnosing skin disorders and allergies in pets typically follows these steps:
- We start with the physical exam, checking your pet’s skin (including their ears), coat, and nails
- Next, we’ll try to get an in-depth history by asking you all kinds of questions about your pet’s nutrition, their environment, medications they’re taking, and anything else that could give us answers
- If we need more information to understand your pet’s condition, we may also do skin impressions and/or a skin scraping