Pet Wellness Exams
While keeping your four-legged family member healthy certainly begins with you, you don’t have to manage everything on your own.
With pet wellness exams conveniently located near Casselberry, you can stay up to speed with your dog’s or cat’s treatments and help them stay protected from diseases they might encounter in their lifetime.
Wellness exams are similar to routine checkups for humans—they give Dr. Matagrano the opportunity to “check in” with you and your pet, evaluate any health issues, and discuss any changes that might have taken place.
They also generally involve routine parasite screens (blood and fecal testing) and vaccinations. Call us today at (407) 862-6892 to schedule a cat or dog wellness exam for your Altamonte pet today.
What’s Included in a Wellness Exam?
When you bring in your pet for their wellness exam, you can always expect us to be thorough. Since dogs and cats are unable to verbalize their feelings, it’s up to us to decode every clue we can get (be it unusual behavior, changes in appearance, or abnormal test results) to understand their health and accurately diagnose any problems they have.
Even a small change can progress into something bigger, so we leave no stone unturned.
During your pet’s routine exam, you can expect us to cover:
- Any questions you have about your pet’s condition, behavior, or lifestyle;
- The physical examination, where we check your pet’s heart function, lungs for any abnormal breathing or sounds, ears and drainage, eyes for cloudiness or irritation, mouth for cavities or abscess, abdomen for lumps or abnormal sounds, skin and coat for dryness or oil, and limbs/joints for any pain;
- Blood work - this can check for any abnormalities in the organs;
- Stool - this is a valuable tool we use for checking for parasites ( Remember, some parasites are microscopic and cause no symptoms;
- Heartworm testing;
- Deworming (if needed) and parasite prevention;
- Nutritional and behavioral counseling.
When Should You Schedule a Cat Or Dog Wellness Exam?
You should schedule your pet wellness exams at your Altamonte springs vet at regular intervals, most likely once every year. Don’t wait for your pet to get sick. You want to schedule their check up for when they are healthy, not already sick.
Not only does that allow us to get to know your pet better, but preventative care or early detection of diseases for dogs and cats can help your pet achieve longevity of life. We can help you establish a baseline of how your pet typically feels so that as your pets age we can pinpoint any abnormal symptoms immediately.
Year-Round Preventative Care
Unfortunately for our furry friends, heartworms, fleas, and ticks are tiny but mighty! They flourish in warm weather conditions and love using our pets as hosts for their survival and propagation.
Because these nasty critters are active all year round (and thus pose a year-round threat), it’s necessary to give your pet complete, year-round protection with the appropriate parasite preventatives.
Our Altamonte Springs veterinary clinic offers a variety of cat and dog parasite preventatives here in-house, so be sure to reach out to us if you need to get started or refill your pet’s prescription!